The foundation stone for the Church of the Holy Spirit Heckmondwike was laid on June 1, 1914 by Dr Cowgill, Bishop of Leeds, and was completed by Autumn 1915, with the dedication taking place on September 29 by Dr Cowgill. This at last provided a permanent home for the Celebration of Holy Mass within Heckmondwike after being served by a temporary chapel in the former St Patrick’s school on Darley Street.
The church is now one of two church buildings serving the Parishes of Cleckheaton & Heckmondwike, along with our sister church dedicated to Our Lady of Unfailing Help & St Paul of the Cross, located just over 2 miles away in Cleckheaton.
Both Holy Spirit and St Pauls (as the Cleckheaton church is often referred to) are currently being served by our Parish Priest, the Revd Fr Nicholas Hird, BD, MA
Sunday Mass, and the Vigil Mass on Saturday evening is celebrated in both church buildings each week, with weekday Masses being celebrated in one or other of the church buildings as pastoral needs dictate. Details can be found each week as published in the Parish Bulletin.
Located next door to our beautiful church, is the Holy Spirit Catholic primary school, which has been serving the Catholic children of Heckmondwike and Cleckheaton for over 50 years, since replacing the former St Patrick’s school on Darley Street.
During term-time the pupils at the school enjoy regular access to Holy Mass with weekly, class, key-stage or whole-school masses. The school also supports the children through the preparation of the sacraments of Reconciliation, First Eucharist, and, in more recent years, Confirmation.
For more information about our school, please see the school website at https://www.holyspiritprimary.co.uk/